As the great Ben Franklin once said, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” In our Salem, OR chiropractic office, we believe that this couldn’t be truer when it comes to back injuries since dealing with any amount of pain along your spine can make daily living seem like more of a chore than a pleasure.
What are some things you can do to protect your spinal health as much as possible and avoid any painful and potentially costly back injuries? We've previously written about seven common causes of back pain, now we're going to give you seven suggestions to prevent back pain from occurring.
- Lift wisely. If you have to pick something heavy up, put most of the pressure on your legs versus your back and ask for help if someone is nearby so you don’t risk disc herniation or any other spinal injury.
- Keep proper posture. Lots of backaches and pains are caused by simply having poor posture. Whether you’re walking, standing, or sitting, keep your shoulders back and down, head up, and pelvis tilted slightly back.
- Sleep in a back-friendly position. Stomach sleeping can create the most back problems, so you should either sleep on your side with a pillow between your knees or on your back so your neck can lie straight.
- Get regular physical activity. Keep your back in good shape by engaging in regular cardiovascular and strength-training workouts designed to build up the muscles in your back so they are stronger and more capable of protecting your spine.
- Perform daily stretches. A limber back is a healthy back and daily stretches are just what you need to avoid back injuries that could potentially sideline you.
- Use common sense. If something seems like it has a high potential to cause a back injury, then avoid it. Trust your instincts to tell you what is potentially harmful to your spinal health.
- Engage in regular chiropractic care. Just like you have semi-annual visits with your dentist to thwart cavities and crowns, make regular appointments with your Salem chiropractor instead of waiting until you’re in pain and agony because then you’re facing an uphill battle.
Dr. Geary Michels is committed to helping you protect your spinal health and preventing back pain. Call Michels Spinal Rehab & Associates in Salem, OR today and enjoy a healthier spine tomorrow!